Prevention is better than cure and that is what preventive dentistry is all about. The concept is to avoid dental treatment by catching problems early or before they even arise.
No matter the current state of teeth or gums, a preventive dentistry team can help avoid unnecessary and unwanted trips to the dentist by:
- Thoroughly checking the health of teeth and gums
- Removing any plaque or tartar from teeth
- Advising on the best ways to brush, floss and clean between teeth
As a recent article on preventive dentistry states “it is never too late to start” and it can be found at https://www.dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/caring-for-teeth/preventive-care-and-oral-hygiene.
When it comes to dental health, certain health trends can cause more harm than good. Overuse of acidic substances and avoiding fluoride are just two examples.
- Never clean your teeth with cider vinegar which can attack tooth enamel.
- Choose a fluoride toothpaste if you want to protect your teeth against decay.
- Hot water with lemon drinks are acidic and damaging to tooth enamel.
- Charcoal can damage tooth enamel, and does not contain fluoride.
Talk to your dentist if you have been practicing any of these health trends.
"Fluoride is the main protective ingredient in toothpaste..."